A couple of my working friends have asked me how to cook matta rice in a rice cooker. So here is an easy and zero-hassle way to prepare the rice. The important thing here is to get the measurement of rice and water correct. This is my tried and tested way to get the rice cooked just right - not too dry nor too soft.
Note : My cup measures 160 ml and came along with my rice cooker.
Method of Preparation
- Take 3 cups of rice, wash and drain.
- Add this rice into the rice cooker and add double the cup of water. So here we need to add 6 cups of water.
- Add the desired amount of salt and switch on (Cooking Mode).
- My rice cooker has 2 modes - Cooking and Keep Warm.
- When the water dries up, the cooker goes into Keep Warm mode.
- Open the rice cooker, stir the rice and add as many cups of water as the rice. So now we add 3 cups of water.
- Switch to Cooking Mode.
- When the cooker goes into Keep Warm mode, take it off the plug.
- Let it stand for about 5 minutes.
- Open and your rice is perfectly cooked.
- In case its too dry for you, add one more cup of water and cook.
- Tip : You can use any measuring cup. Just take care to use the same cup for measuring both rice and water.