This is an easy pulav recipe. Best when you have unexpected guests or on a cooking-lazy day. My daughter P loves it with plain curd. I alway cook this with a rice cooker to get the perfect consistency, somehow I dont get it right when I use the cooking pot.
1. Rice - 3 cups (I use Jeerakashala Rice, its very aromatic)
2. Whole Spices
- Cardamon - 4
- Cloves - 4
- Bay Leaves - 3
- Mace - a little
- Star Anise - 1
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
4. Green chillies - 4, chopped
5. Ginger - 1 inch piece, chopped
6. Garlic - 6 pods, chopped
7. Green Peas - a handful.
8. Carrot - 1, chopped.
9. Corn - a handful.
10. Raisins - 10
11. Coriander Leaves - a handful, chopped
12. Mint Leaves - 6 leaves
13. Chicken Fries - 10 pieces, chopped into cubes.
14. Water - 4 cups
15. Coconut Oil - 3 tbsp
16. Saffron - 1 pinch
Method of Preparation
- Wash the rice and soak in water and set aside until required.
- Heat oil in a non-stick kadai and add all the whole spices.
- When the spices starts sputtering and an aroma is emitted, add the thinly sliced onions.
- Saute till the onions are transparent and then add the chopped green chillies, ginger and garlic. Saute until the raw smell is gone.
- Throw in the raisins, chopped carrots, corn and green peas and keep sauteing for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice along with the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, saute for 5 minutes.
- Take 4 cups of water in the rice cooker's bowl, add the contents of the kadai into the bowl.
- Sprinkle a pinch of saffron on top and add salt.
- Close lid and start cooking.
- When the rice is done , mix in the cubed chicken fries.
- Serve hot with curd or salad.
- Note : You can use any garnish you prefer - cashews, fried onions and the like.